ACMECTF
  Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   *
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ACMECTF Summer Cup 2012 - Discussion  (Read 63485 times)
alka
Lead Cowbell
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2012, 11:42:29 AM »

I am trying to get the CUP started as soon as September 3rd.
The last day for signups has been set for this coming up Sunday, the 26th.
This will leave 1 week to make teams and define the structure of the cup as I'm not sure what that will be since it's still not clear whether it will be 3's, 4's, or 5's and how many teams of each.
Right now we do not have enough players signed up for 4's or 5's, and really not even enough for 3's.
The turn out has been less than expected to say the least.  undecided

All discussions related to the CUP are welcome.
Preferences of 3's 4's or 5's? Why is there such a low turnout? Why has no one from across the pond signed up? Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to stay on my toes."
RUSTY```
carpet scooter at large
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »

i emailed a few old q2 contacts about the cup.  Hopefully they sign up.

WOOF WOOF
Targe+
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »

Funny, I did the same thing Tongue

Talgo

Worst player N/A. Only knows how to +back, +spam & +RJ. Also, is a known stacker.

RUSTY```
carpet scooter at large
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 03:59:42 PM »

Funny, I did the same thing Tongue

Talgo

I'm proof that it can work.

WOOF WOOF
yowza
Server Sponsor
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:44:36 AM »

Maybe more haven't signed up because dolts such as myself cannot see where to do so  grin
  Would you please point it out to me?

All know the way. Few actually walk it.
Targe+
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »

Maybe more haven't signed up because dolts such as myself cannot see where to do so  grin
  Would you please point it out to me?

http://www.wormlair.com/forum/index.php/topic,3552.msg52682/topicseen.html#new

Just sign your name.

Also --> People should be letting others on the server know about this. Can we change the message of the day (if that hasn't been done...)

Talgo

Worst player N/A. Only knows how to +back, +spam & +RJ. Also, is a known stacker.

Targe+
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »

I emailed Naveed & Rushy. I also mass emailed everyone involved in the last cup. I sent $lasher a PM on reddit (which if he read, he didn't respond to). I just got my internet up and running on the weekend so I will be spamming the server when I am on.

Can we change the message? I miss Shell/Left/KT as much as anyone, but we can miss seeing their names for a week...

I also made 3 posts to Reddit (to /r/QuakeLive; /r/Quake, /r/gaming) but basically no comments. I was going to email people through the forums, but most of their email is hidden :-/ People like T!, ksoul, The Cleaner, stab... People that I have seen playing recently but aren't signed up. If any of the forums admins are interested in breaching that (privacy?) block, you have my blessing.

Talgo

WORM
Chief philosopher and martini shaker
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

Take it easy, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »

Can we change the message? I miss Shell/Left/KT as much as anyone, but we can miss seeing their names for a week...

No. That message will stay as is in honor of the ones lost from our community. I hope to not have to add any more to it.

However, I have changed the L-Fire Menu message to advertise the cup.....that's a better place for it anyway; shows up better and requires user interaction to make it disappear, (except for those that hit enter twice to usually end up stacking teams).  rolleyes

I also made 3 posts to Reddit (to /r/QuakeLive; /r/Quake, /r/gaming) but basically no comments. I was going to email people through the forums, but most of their email is hidden :-/ People like T!, ksoul, The Cleaner, stab... People that I have seen playing recently but aren't signed up. If any of the forums admins are interested in breaching that (privacy?) block, you have my blessing.

Sorry, we respect the privacy of our members and they have the option of showing or hiding their email address. I will not change that option.

Here's another however...you do know that you can send members a private message in the forum and it will be delivered to their email address? No? Well, you can.....unless they have added you to their ignore list.  grin

BTW...thanks for all your support, Targe+!  smiley

<xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Targe+
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »

I hope to not have to add any more to it.

This is a though I have pondered a few times over the years. Did <x> player quit playing...or... :-/

(except for those that hit enter twice to usually end up stacking teams).  rolleyes

Quote from: WORM on August 21, 2012, 01:09:35 PM

Here's another however...you do know that you can send members a private message in the forum and it will be delivered to their email address? No? Well, you can.....

I should, I have gotten 104 over the years... Tongue I didn't think of it though. That's a good idea and I have the initiative (IE: Nothing else to do @ work...other than work...)

BTW...thanks for all your support, Targe+!  smiley

No, Thank You! Cheesy

Talgo

PS --> Stay tuned for more casting! I think the next game is between BT & Stroke, which I remember being fun games....

Yoda
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34:53 PM »

Hey WORM, just wondering...can you send mass emails with this forum? Would be another option. Although you run the risk of being tagged as a spammer.

It's not easy to get the word to everyone cause most players never or rarely come here on the forum.. I'm sure more would join the tourneys if they really understood what was happening. I never joined tourneys in the past because I rarely came on the forum so never knew what was happening.

Also, there is so many forums here, even if someone comes once in a while, there's a good chance they don't end up seeing the touney threads.

I was talking to link last night on the server and he thought the touney was in Vegas.   cheesy
stan
Master of Rails

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »

It will be nice once the new website is up and running.. Even though it seems simple enough for us to log onto the forums, find the thread, and then sign up it may not be to someone who is new..

A link on the main page or something to that effect may produce different results
Yoda
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »

I definitely agree. A more simplified main page for the website with direct links to info like tournaments would help. Even for people that come on the forum, it can be confusing.

They have to see the thread for the touney. Now we already have 2 discussion thread for the tournament, we have another thread for the sign up. Then we will have a forth thread once it starts. Then we will have a fifth thread for the Target casting. Then we will have other threads started by teams to try to set up times for games.

It's just a little overwhelming for many people.
Removing the forums no longer used could be an option. Including Quake4. It would help.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:39:11 PM by Yoda » Logged
alka
Lead Cowbell
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »

It will be nice once the new website is up and running..

A link on the main page or something to that effect may produce different results

I definitely agree. A more simplified main page for the website with direct links to info like tournaments would help. Even for people that come on the forum, it can be confusing.

The new website is all that you mention and a lot more. We're working on it, I promise.
I'd let you preview it but then I'd have to poke your eyes with a hot poker and cut your tongue out, and I'm just not a violent person.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:54:07 PM by alka » Logged

alka
Lead Cowbell
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »

slugsk!e and dash, I'm missing your availability.

RUSTY```
carpet scooter at large
Powerhouse, TBH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 06:53:05 PM »

AS A MEANS TO ATTRACT NEW COMPETITORS, WE COULD ALWAYS PROMISE A/TO FREE HAT!

WOOF WOOF
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 16, 2019, 11:29:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by h0ps
[Today at 09:55:25 PM]

[November 14, 2019, 12:52:29 AM]

[November 10, 2019, 02:50:54 AM]

[November 09, 2019, 10:32:48 PM]

[October 16, 2019, 02:14:37 AM]

[July 28, 2019, 05:13:29 PM]

[March 08, 2019, 01:08:54 PM]