ACMECTF
  Home Help Search Calendar Login Register   *
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L-F PUL Rules and Info  (Read 40661 times)
WORM
Chief philosopher and martini shaker
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

Take it easy, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »

Using match server removes the need for 2/3rds of the server to vote yes (which they won't do anyway).

Only 50% is required to pass a mapvote on the pub:

Code:
set mapvote_allow 1
set mapvote_clientlimit 1
set mapvote_minclients 1
set mapvote_maxclients 0
set mapvote_pass 50
set mapvote_time 60

And admins can be proactive in changing a map if there are afk or ambivalent non votes.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:58:21 AM by WORM » Logged

<xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
retrer
Playah

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2015, 01:02:57 PM »

Only 50% is required to pass a mapvote on the pub:

More than that if you consider wallfly who never seem to agree to our map choice. If you have 6 player + wallfly,
you need 4 yes vote to pass. 4/6=66.6% so angry is right for once  wink
angry
Powerhouse, TBH

The devil you know.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2015, 01:52:05 PM »

Is there a separate setting for mapvotes passing instantly (map ending, scores locked, etc.)? I still see instances where there's enough yes votes, but the server doesn't say the vote is passed until the voting time expires.

Wake up and smell the fuckin cornbread boys. LETS GET SERIOUS
WORM
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

Take it easy, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »

Thank you, Captain Obvious.  rolleyes

Math isn't your strong suit, eh?

WallFly is not there for the purpose of voting.

Would it make you happier if I said "50% or greater"? We can play fn numbers games all gd day long...the fact remains the server mapvote_pass cvar is set for 50% minimum yes votes to pass - not 66.6%, not 60%, not 75%.....Fifty Fn Per Cent.

<xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
WORM
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

Take it easy, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »

Shoulda quoted retrer on the previous post.

Is there a separate setting for mapvotes passing instantly (map ending, scores locked, etc.)? I still see instances where there's enough yes votes, but the server doesn't say the vote is passed until the voting time expires.

No. Map voting remains open for the time set by mapvote_time, currently 60 seconds.

angry
Powerhouse, TBH

The devil you know.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »

Anyhow, I don't mind playing old school maps or caco 24/7. However, the only thing you did different than Target was not letting a team captain pick the map. Instead, you changed it to each map that you liked or wanted everyone to play. When you left, I took over and it ended up being non-stop Caco because the few people that were left, after all the nonsense, were all wanting rematches on Caco. Not only because they were good games but because that seemed like the only thing to keep the PUL going that night without having more people rage quit. I would like to see more people playing and having fun than play in a 3v3 on a outdated map. Old school maps are fun every now an then but there's a reason they were left in the past. Some I enjoy more than others. Just my opinion though  evil

There were a whole bunch of things wrong with PUL this past weekend.

When we ended throwback maps and I switched it to caco, like 2/3rds of the server went AFK. Reefer was asking my help with installing a .PAK file full of maps because he's an idiot and he bought a Mac to play Q2 on grin and he uses some client that no one has ever heard of, so I was trying to help him figure out what to do with the file. When we got that sorted, not everyone was back, and it made picking teams basically impossible. I don't mind people going AFK, but no one else ever says where they're going or how long they're going to be gone (well, you do, but I think you and I are the only ones). I don't know whether to wait for them, or just make them ineligible to play and go on with the people who are ready.

Another issue for me is poor choice of captains. If the captains aren't the two best players on the server (which is what we do for normal pickups), it needs to be two players who are even in skill, but that's hard to do when most don't ever want to captain (I myself being among them). I captained on Bletey's just to keep the games going, but I was supposed to captain against Reefer (which I think is fair), but Reefer was passed out high in his bathtub or something grin so it ended up being between me and DocJosh, and I knew right then and there the game was going to be a blowout (I think Josh's team won like 7-0 or 8-1 or something stupid). I didn't even bother trying all that much because I knew it was going to be a pointless exercise.

Lastly, I don't mind playing Caco, but playing it with anything more than 5v5 is a complete fucking joke and a total waste of time. The map just doesn't support organized play with so many people.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:25:13 PM by angry » Logged

Reefer
ACME Admin
Powerhouse, TBH

Quake 2 doesn't play itself!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2015, 03:10:00 PM »

I was supposed to captain against Reefer (which I think is fair), but Reefer was passed out high in his bathtub or something grin

ACTUALLY when the next map was Bletey's my anxiety spiked and I panicked thinking about how I was going to possibly compete with so many OG's on the server last Sunday and I struggle with basic arithmetic so the idea of quad / ps timing against the likes of rust, smfj, angry etc basically iced up my soft, pink chicken heart and I decided to sit out that one game and try to learn something from the Old Gods for once. WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS, I did not bathe at all last Sunday. I was just scared, but next time I will face my fear.

I have been having a blast playing old maps with angry as the admin on the match server on Sunday afternoons.  It is really cool because of the amount of control: if a weird map we thought would be fun turns out to be boring, angry is able to change maps on the fly really helps keep it moving (maybe not the best example I understand we would be able to vote our way out of this situation on a pub, I guess there are other variables that are fun to control too, time limit, etc.) 

That being said, when WORM says to do something, I just say yes.  I bring 100 "yes WORMs" with me every time I come to the server (similar to how I bring 100 "yes chefs" with me to the restaurant every day work) because without WORM (and yowza), there is no server, and without the server, no q2ctf.  We have to respect that WORM is looking out for what's best for the community.  What i understand from reading the posts this week (correct me if I'm wrong) is that the Match server should be reserved for matches and organized PU's only.

In terms of Sunday afternoons, a lot of players will come check out what maps we are playing, but idle in spec, because that is their level of interest / engagement on a Sunday afternoon with decade old maps (understandable.)  That being said, would there be another Acme server that we would be able to use on Sunday afternoons, so that we are not in the way on the Match server, but still don't have to live and die by the votes of everyone (especially because there may be more specs when we are playing "boring maps")?  For example, the Match 2 or Offhand?  Or a way to give angry admin powers on the pub for a limited window of 3pm cst to 6pm cst?

Also, while I'm ranting and raving, don't you think folks with massive Quake 2 mapping skills relative to their killing skills (Cartman[CAMP]) and others on IRC would have fun playing these old maps with us?   I am going to invite him on IRC.

Trying to be bitchin can come at the risk of being instead, a complete fool. But, not trying at all, and hence never risking being a fool, can come at the price of never being bitchin even once. -chongo
WORM
Administrator
Powerhouse, TBH

Take it easy, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »

Admins were consulted before reverting to our standard match server settings - this was not arbitrary. But I take full responsibility to accept the bitching. Talgo has also known of the concerns for awhile now but was not aware the changes would come when they did. With Talgo away, it was an opportune time to make the corrections so he wouldn't be caught in the middle.

No....we do not give out temporary admin.

Yes....we are a bit shy of active admins. I blame crappy cable connections in Alabama. We do appreciate the admins that are active but they can't always be available....such is life.

Maybe....we should be looking for another admin. Or not. Only a chosen few are given the opportunity. The training and tests are rigorous and challenging. The drop out rate exceeds 99 44/100% and suicides are all too common.

Good luck....getting Cartman[CAMP] to do anything.

DocJosh
Grenade Spammer

get sum.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »

so it ended up being between me and DocJosh, and I knew right then and there the game was going to be a blowout

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Seriously though, I just wanted to play and no one was stepping up. I'm always down to be a captain in order to get the games going.

Don\'t underestimate the doctah.
KiD
Grapple Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2015, 06:05:32 PM »

I can provide help if neccessary, I am always nearby a pc and capable of map changes or neccessary lock teams, Although i know this role comes with hearing many complaints and many demands luckily I am a patient person. I always have access wether I be at work or home. Generally I believe myself not to be a shit disturber either and have a good idea of the playerbase.  If it comes down to it, let it be known and i will do my part.
 I may not always be around to play but I am always watching the servers/websites and can be contacted easily through facebook. I have not burnt many bridges with other players and feel as it takes a neutral party for the task. Day one new rule, no more pants
I have already cut myself several times writing this the pressure is unreal, worm was not joking. Harder then a nympho avoiding an std
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:08:23 PM by KiD » Logged
angry
Powerhouse, TBH

The devil you know.

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 02, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »

I am absolutely the worst choice for someone to be admin (matchadmin is all the responsibility I'm prepared to handle, and even that not all the time).

If I had admin probably close to half of the regular players here would have been banned at one point or another. Basically, I'm more like Wake than Bones when it comes to admin stuff.

Also, most of the playerbase here hates me, but that's because I'm a miserable prick who doesn't like people. So the hatred isn't unwarranted.

housefly
Master of Rails

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2015, 06:39:38 PM »

Talgo has also known of the concerns for awhile now but was not aware the changes would come when they did. With Talgo away, it was an opportune time to make the corrections so he wouldn't be caught in the middle.

So it was all a conspiracy. Angry took the fall to protect Targ's reputation.
angry
Powerhouse, TBH

The devil you know.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »

It's not like I have a reputation to protect anyway. (<- not sarcasm)

retrer
Playah

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »

About the math you could be surprised mr. worm. I was pointing out that wallfly interfere with the 50% rule
by not voting but still be counted as a player. But if you want to start insulting me and getting angry about that
go for it, it's not like I care.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.  rolleyes

Math isn't your strong suit, eh?

WallFly is not there for the purpose of voting.

Would it make you happier if I said "50% or greater"? We can play fn numbers games all gd day long...the fact remains the server mapvote_pass cvar is set for 50% minimum yes votes to pass - not 66.6%, not 60%, not 75%.....Fifty Fn Per Cent.

ℊ♪ℯℯ♫ȥ
Grenade Spammer

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »

Give me admin. I'm more than capable of controlling drama situations. I've lived with my gf for too long  cheesy

A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's --
That's because she changes it more often
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 07, 2020, 09:21:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Recent
by Yoda
[April 21, 2020, 04:28:19 PM]

[April 13, 2020, 08:19:24 PM]

[April 07, 2020, 06:42:47 AM]

by stan
[March 30, 2020, 09:34:59 PM]

[February 11, 2020, 01:53:28 AM]

[January 22, 2020, 02:28:57 PM]